Joomla alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Content Management Systems (CMS)" category.
Alternatively, view Joomla! alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
8.3 10.0 Joomla VS CraftCMSCraft is a flexible, extensible platform for creating bespoke digital experiences.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Joomla or a related project?
- This is the source of Joomla! 4.x.
- Joomla's Official website.
- Joomla! 4.2 version history.
- Detailed changes are in the changelog.
What is Joomla?
- Joomla! is a Content Management System (CMS) which enables you to build websites and powerful online applications.
- It is a simple and powerful web server application which requires a server with PHP and either MySQL or PostgreSQL to run. You can find full technical requirements here.
- Joomla! is free and Open Source software distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later.
Looking for an installable package?
Joomla is not installable out of the box from this repository, please use:
- For the latest stable package: https://downloads.joomla.org
- For a nightly package: https://developer.joomla.org/nightly-builds.html
How to get a working installation from the source
For detailed instructions please visit https://docs.joomla.org/Special:MyLanguage/J4.x:Setting_Up_Your_Local_Environment
You will need:
- PHP - basically the same as you need for running a Joomla Site, but you need the cli (command line interface) Version (see https://docs.joomla.org/Special:MyLanguage/Configuring_a_LAMPP_server_for_PHP_development)
- Composer - for managing Joomla's PHP Dependencies. For help installing composer please read the documentation at https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md
- Git - for version management. Download from here https://git-scm.com/downloads (MacOS users can also use Brew and Linux users can use the built-in package manager, eg apt, yum, etc).
Steps to setup the local environment:
- Clone the repository:
bash git clone https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms.git
- Go to the joomla-cms folder:
bash cd joomla-cms
- Go to the 4.2-dev branch:
bash git checkout 4.2-dev
- Install all the needed composer packages:
bash composer install
- Install all the needed npm packages:
bash npm ci
Things to be aware of when pulling:
Joomla creates a cache of the namespaces of its extensions in
extensions are created, deleted or removed in git then this file needs to be recreated. You can simply delete the file
and it will be regenerated on the next call to Joomla.
Do you want to improve Joomla?
- Where to request a feature?
- How do you report a bug on the Issue Tracker?
- Get Involved: Joomla! is community developed software. Join the community.
- Documentation for Developers.
- Documentation for Web designers.
- Provide a translation for Joomla: Joomla Crowdin Project
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Joomla README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.